Thursday, October 21, 2010

less like scars and more like character

I am rebuilding.

I am relinquishing bitterness, resentment, longing, sad songs, arguing, self-doubt, insomnia and hurt.

I am not broken. It may have felt that way, but I am whole, I am full of life and love, and I refuse to be jaded or cynical or weak.

There is not a single person who I do not love.

I tip my hat to friends like Hillary and Lewis who have the strength and courage to use their own experiences to 1) speak out against those who would manipulate Christians' hearts and minds using their own version of the Gospel, and 2) be comfort and sound counsel for those being wounded by the same movements. Perhaps one day I will be in a state of mind to do the same, but for now, I enjoy sharing what these wonderfully articulate writers have to say.

During these past several weeks and months, I realized for the 18930849th time that I truly have the greatest family. They will always be here for me, even when I'm too miserable to notice. I don't deserve them, but I thank God every day for them.

God also surrounded me with the most loving, caring, honest and supportive brothers and sisters in Christ who I am so, so blessed to call my friends.

My life has purpose.

I am not looking back. I am looking ahead.

When I get to Heaven, God will not care that I wore pants, that I didn't believe in courtship or that I listened to music other than K LOVE. He cares about His children, not the rules they make for themselves.

I will go where He leads. Nowhere else.

In peace and love,
Shelley

3 comments:

  1. love you, girl. go your own way, the way He leads you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that title. It was CJ's blog title, and it says so much in so few words. Certainly things in life scar us, but it's what we do with those. Do we let them fester and stay those ugly scars? Or do we embrace them and them beautify us by deepening our character? The latter is the harder, but better road. I love your character. It makes you beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you, my friend, and humbled to peek at your journey with Emmanuel...

    ReplyDelete