Sunday, August 29, 2010

we'll make it through

As I half-hang my head in shame, half-smile in bemused delight, I will admit that I am a fan of the show Glee. Not everything about it, mind you. I definitely think they could have picked a few better singers, a few better actors, and stuck to some more appropriate story lines. Don't get me wrong--Lea Michele, Chris Culfer and a few others have more than proven their vocal talent on the show, there is a decent number of good actors, and the scripts, while many times offensive, are socially relevant. What I like about Glee is that reaches out to most every high school stereotype and breaks it. Everyone on the show is given a clean slate and a chance to sing their precious hearts out. The kids in the show make real mistakes and deal with real problems. But at the end of the day, they don't judge each other; they reach out to, love and accept one another. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

And of course, the songs they sing are closely tied to the problems they deal with, which is something I always appreciate...especially lately. My Most Played Songs on iTunes currently consists of: Details in the Fabric (Jason Mraz), A Beautiful Mess (Jason Mraz), Slow Dancing in a Burning Room (John Mayer), Smile (Uncle Kracker), The World Spins Madly On (The Weepies), etc. You can tell a lot about a person by the songs they listen to at any given time. This fabulous arrangement of an Avril Lavigne song done by the cast of Glee is a wonderful example of the way they sing their frustrations away.

No comments:

Post a Comment