Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know up front: this is not a love story"

Over the past two months, I have experienced nearly every emotional state imaginable--all jumbled together, sometimes confusing one for another, not seeing where one ended and another began: love, anger, fear, disappointment, bliss, confusion, denial, hope, hopelessness, impatience, abandonment, recklessness, calm, heartbreak, vindictiveness, pride, spite, serenity, selfishness. I can honestly say that the better part of July, August and September have collectively been the most stressful time in my life. But God has done so much in my life in this time. More than I ever imagined. My post about grace could not have come at a more appropriate time.

Back in June, I reconnected with a young man with whom I've been friends for the better part of 8 years. Long, complicated story short, we realized we had feelings for each other that went deeper than friendship. That was in the middle of August. Choosing a method that I respectfully disagreed with, his parents asked us not to communicate at all until such a time when he (and they) felt confirmation from the Lord that this was what He wanted for us. Well, it must not have been, because we didn't exactly adhere to their request, resulting in communication once again being severed, this time with more hurt and heartache. Rough emails were exchanged between children and parents, no one walked away unscathed or faultless. Not wanting to end things badly, I sought him out yesterday morning, thanks to an extremely supportive friend. We talked for about an hour, clearing the air, saying what needed to be said, and parting on excellent (if wistful) terms.

I don't pretend to know what will happen in the future. All I know is that I love him dearly, I'm crushed at the way things turned out for us, I want things between our families to be okay, and I miss being his friend more than I can say. Before it all got complicated, I could talk to him about anything. He was with me when I smoked my first cigarette. We had the most interesting and stimulating conversations. Now I can't talk to him at all...that hurts. It can't and won't last forever, this I know. This will move out of the present, into memory, and we will move on in grace, love and friendship. And someday, he and I will go to Orange Cup, because apparently I'm the only person in all of San Antonio who hasn't been. :) God has a lot in store for both of us, and I take comfort in the fact that nothing surprises Him. He knew every move we would make, every word we would say, every time we would lose sight of Him, every time He would make us find Him again. It's a good feeling. He will never leave me, nor forsake me.

Love,
Shelley

6 comments:

  1. Shelly,

    I told you this before, God knows what he is doing. You'll do amazing things with His help. Lean on him, and not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path. I will be praying for you. :)

    Josiah Bedrosian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock. On. :)

    Cristen

    p.s. I haven't been to Orange Cup either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace and comfort as this relationship redefines itself and may you find joy once again.
    Blessings,
    India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I might not be the prime example of compliance and unity or relationship(s) for that matter...but dear it sounds like you are wearing shoes I've walked in. I nearly cried reading your words. Not being to communicate with the one you love best on this earth, the one who knows you best and inspires your mind the most. For two months we didn't communicate, even though we were constantly feet away from each other as our friends were the same group. It is so, so, SO hard. What I learned out of it was trust. I recall being angry one afternoon and I clearly heard God tell me "Just wait. Two days or two years, what does it matter? Just trust Me and wait." Now my story ends differently than yours (will), as you well know. Maybe I'm not one to say anything, but I know your family. They only want what is best for you and will uplift you and love you in everything. (Though it sounds like this was coming from his parents). Because you are so blessed to have such a rare gem of a family. I find myself often envious. I want a family like yours. Maybe I can make my own home like the Warren's. I'll pray for it anyway. Rabbit trail.

    All that to say - I'll be praying for you. Those thousands of emotions that rush through you and tempt you to bitterness - don't give into those. Pray for love. To love, and love more purely than you've ever known. He'll grant it, though it's not easy.

    Sounds like things are at least peaceful at the moment at least and I hope, for your sake, they continue to be. You and your sisters are still so very dear to me. It breaks my heart sometimes that I can't still spend time with you all. Sweet memories with you. My first (and only) karaoke was with you! :) ha!

    Feel free to contact me if you need anything, though I know you have mighty wonderful support system of family and friends to lean on :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I don't even know what Orange Cup is... :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. My reply is super late, but he isn't the only person you can talk to about anything and everything. You can call me whenever you feel like it. Seriously, I'm probably not doing anything. Love you.

    Amy

    P.S. Obviously, you're not the only one in San Antonio who hasn't been to Orange Cup. I hadn't even heard of it until recently.

    ReplyDelete