Monday, April 19, 2010

"Music is such an expensive habit"

The current most played artists on my iTunes: Jason Mraz, The Beatles, Ingrid Michaelson, The Killers, Tom Petty, Blue October, The Ditty Bops, Regina Spektor, Joshua Radin, Brendan James, Alexa Wilkinson.

I don't know that I would call myself a "music geek." But I'm not sure what I would call myself. I am deeply passionate about music. For the past seven years, I have been paying my dues and doing my time to get to where I am with music. I appreciate good music. I do not appreciate bad music. I have a critical ear. Music is something that everyone loves, but not everyone is good at. It does not necessarily make me mean, arrogant, closed-minded or any less in love with music because I am not afraid to say that a good number of people in popular music are not good musicians. I am entitled to my own opinions as much as you are entitled to disagree with them.

I long to see the day when real musicians dominate popular music once again.

Unfortunately, these days, people are obsessed with the following sad excuses for artists:
Ke$ha. I have a theory that this girl represents everything wrong with popular music. Countless songs about drunken hookups? Check. Autotune? Check. Elementary rhymes? Check. Bonus White Trash factor? Check check.
Orianthi. I will be the first to admit: Orianthi is an incredibly gifted guitarist. The sad thing is, she's not satisfied with that, and seems to think that since she's such a great guitarist, she must be able to sing as well. Sad, sad misunderstanding. Her current single, "According to You," which is topping the charts, is just plain awful. I would not be surprised if a fifth grade girl wrote it.
Justin Bieber. Aside from being essentially a sweatshop kid, who told him it was a good idea to use "Baby, baby, baby oh (x2)" as a chorus? Poor kid.
Miley Cyrus. Sweetheart, try singing without sounding like you have a sinus infection. Also, try not to call yourself a Christian, then pole dance at a kids' awards show. And if you're not too busy, you might give good songwriting a try. You are one of the mass of teenage girls who think that pretty face=pretty voice.

Don't get me wrong, there have been some wonderful exceptions. Jason Mraz almost single-handedly brought real music back into the mainstream. How? Because he knows how to play his instruments well, he has a classically smooth voice, and his use of the English language is unparalleled. Blue October (one of the only rock bands I enjoy) also fought through the mess of bad music to make it. Lead singer Justin Furstenfeld's painfully impassioned voice mixed with their creative and beautiful use of not only electric, but classical instruments and very relatable, yet still original, lyrical concepts made them a very interesting and stimulating band. There are others, such as The Killers, Sara Bareilles, Staind, Ben Folds, etc.

I only wish these amazing musicians and bands weren't up against such nonsense competition and a musically ignorant generation. It's a hard fight upstream. But don't worry, your day is coming soon. One day, everyone will wake up and realize the beauty of real music. For the present, though, to avoid stooping to mediocrity, I am more than content to a) err on the side of indie, where the most wonderful artists reside and make beautiful music for the few people interested, and b) go way back, listening to the music my parents grew up on.

In love and truth, Shelley.

5 comments:

  1. I'm a Miley fan for some intangible reason, but as a dentist's wife, I can't get past her jacked teeth. They keep her from being a really pretty face in my jaded eyes.

    As a singer with a BA in voice, I can't always put my finger on why I like singers. Sometimes it's just a combo of ok voice, great lyrics, good music, great musicians. My iPod playlists are so eclectic it's weird. Lots of old, lots of new, lots of familiar, lots of obscure. I think that's healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,
    I was just blog-walking when I stumbled upon your page. Anyway, I agree with you. As the matter of fact, I get to write on this topic extensively in one of the courses I am taking. If you have the time, you might wanna check out Theodor Adorno's works. A little dense and pessimistic, but it offers a very interesting perspective to see popular music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ke$ha. I have a theory that this girl represents everything wrong with popular music." Oh, amen to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone forgot to list 30H3!...they too represent everything wrong with popular music, besides being one of the only bands who, apparently, must sing singularly about sex.

    Oh, and then there's Adam Lambert...*shudders*...why is it that I think of half-dressed women strutting down a catwalk whenever I hear his music?

    And to think that I live in the same house as an avid fan of both of these "artists"...O_o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shelley,

    Fellow music lover here who stumbled onto your blog coming off of Lewis's "Commandments of Men". I appreciate your thoughts on music and I agree... image has replaced competency and substance in the name of creating a product that will sell and it has bastardized the art in the process. I refer to what the music industry is doing these days as "strip mining" music. Start with a good song, play it to death until everyone is sick of it, mine as much as you possibly can in the process and then go onto the next popular thing. The same could be said for artists as well as songs and that's sad. In the meantime, so many good musicians and great songs are marginalized. It really does pay to dig around for the good stuff.

    You might enjoy the music of David Wilcox - www.davidwilcox.com. Many of his songs are posted on the site and you can get a pretty good cross section of his work just by wandering around the "music" section. He's a great guitarist, writer and singer.

    Blessings to you,

    Jim K.

    ReplyDelete